`````````````````````````````````````````````````````
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I say I wanna give You glory Lord, and I do
But everything that I could ever find to offer comes from You
But if my darkness can praise Your light
You give me breath, and I'll give my life to sing Your praise" ~ Rich Mullins


~~~~May my life be a praise unto the Lord!~~~~

Friday, September 21, 2007

Fall Reading Challenge


I've been looking over my shelf and making my list. It's a couple days early, but I thought I would go ahead and post my list for the Fall Reading Challenge. Among my goals is the goal to focus on reading about being a good wife, so you will see several books on husbands and marriage. I am also continuing to work through the Amish Information Box so that I can send it on to the next reader. So, I have two Amish books on my list. I have a few NF books that I have been wanting to read for my personal education and enjoyment as well. I also include my fall Friend2Friend selection, the book by Lisa Whelchel.

Among my fiction list are books from series that I am reading through. I also added a couple of Star Wars books. We bought the Episode 3 book back when the movie came out, but dh wouldn't let me read it before he did, or before the movie. By the time he let me have it, my reading had drifted off to other things and I never picked it up. He reminded me the other day that I still needed to do so. So, I have added it and the prequel to my list.

And of course I will have my book club selections.

I am sure to add more to the list as I go along. I never quite stick to the list I lay out at the beginning as there are always books that catch my eye. (I will put astricks by any title that is added after the challenge begins.) But, I hope to at least finish these books as well. It's a busy time of year, so we'll see how it goes.

I will add links to my reviews as I read each book.

Well, here's the list!

NonFiction:

*Eat Right 4 Your Type by Peter D'Adamo
*The Food Allergy Cure by Ellen Cutler [Currently Reading]
*Autism and Your Church by Barbara J Newman
*Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism by Jenny McCarthy
*The Healing Sun by Richard Hobday
A Year Without Made in China by Sara Bongiorni
Building Your Mate’s Self-Esteem by Dennis and Barbara Rainey
The Cross and the Scalpel by Gwen Wilkerson
A Return to Modesty by Wendy Shalit
Crossing Over: One Woman’s Escape from Amish Life by Ruth Irene Garrett with Rick Farrant
Everyday Sacred: A Woman’s Journey Home by Sue Bender
The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Laura Schlessinge
The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Ormartian
The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Ormartian [Currently Reading]
Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel

Fiction:

Just Above a Whisper by Lori Wick
Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson
Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
Star Wars Episode 3: The Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover
Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno
*Leave a Candle Burning by Lori Wick
*The Parting by Beverly Lewis
*Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon [Currently Reading]
*The New Year's Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini


First Baptist Readers book club selections:

The Will by Reed Arvin
*Finding Noel by Richard Paul Evans

Audio Books:
The Cat Who Played Post Office by Lilian Jackson Braun
Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
*The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lilian Jackson Braun
*The Cat Who Sniffed Glue by Lilian Jackson Braun [Currently Listening]

10 comments:

Kristine said...

Jen, I've read several Christian marriage books, and yet my favorite continues to be Dr. Laura's book. The first time through, I thought, "So what else is new? Doesn't everyone know this?" Well, yes, I think women KNOW it but don't practice it. It's not like things were "bad," just that we were living rather parallel lives, not truly united. The book stuck in my head and I read it again a year later.

I began to make an effort to truly appreciate my husband, to SHOW my appreciation. At one point, I was completely convicted of my attitude, how he would do ANYthing for us, and yet I continued to hold back. Literally that SAME week, he had some major job issues and was suspended for a few weeks while a matter was investigated internally.

I was sure that God had put it in my heart to prepare for that. We went through it with flying colors--and although he amazingly kept his job (no one ever did in that situation), the state of our marriage was more important than his keeping his job. He commented a few times that my support through that meant everything.

Three months later, he was diagnosed with MS--and then I thought I knew the reason that God had impressed upon me to strengthen our marriage. Together, keeping Christ at the center of our marriage, we KNOW we can do this together and be victorious.

I cannot express to you how much this has changed our lives (quite literally, even to and through our moving). And I know the seed was planted with that Dr. Laura book . . .

On a totally lighter note, I can't wait to read your review on the life without China book!! I'm familiar with the title but haven't read it.

Deborah said...

woo hoo for star wars! the ROTS book is really good..a lot of stuff from the movie is explained in more detail. i was sobbing at the end...

Leah said...

I posted my Fall Reading List early, too ~ I just could't wait! =) Looks like you have a really great book list ~ lots that I would be interested in as well. The murder ones sound especially intriguing. I'll have to check those out. Thanks, and enjoy the next few months of reading!

Susanne said...

What a great list!

Happy fall reading.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your list. Joanne Fluke and Diane Mott Davidson are some of my favorite fun, light reads. A Christian book you might enjoy that touches on marriage quite a bit is Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. She goes verse by verse through Proverbs 31, and there were several references to doing your husband good and not evil that really spoke to me when I read it this summer. Best of luck with your reading!

Sandra said...

Love the list, I also have Just above a whisper on my list as part of the Tucker Mills Trilogy :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Another Joanne Fluke and Diane Mott Davidson fan, here! And I'm very impressed with the number of non-fiction on your list. I don't know if I could get through that many. Thanks for being part of the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Love the Joanne Fluke books! You have some great books on your list. Enjoy the reading challenge.

Much Ado said...

Great list and I agree with you on the "books that catch my eye" comment....sometimes it is hard to stick to a list when there are so many appealing books out there!

Deena Peterson said...

I love Joanne Fluke and it's fun to find a fellow Cookie Lady lover!